Leek


As I was walking in the supermarket, I came across China Leek, a long (about 2 feet) vegetable that is usually available only during the Lunar New Year. As I looked closer at the label, I saw that it was leek planted locally, in Cameron Highlands and not imported from China.

This means that leek was now available throughout the year. Good news for those who like this vege because I think it is an acquired taste. Most of my friends don't enjoy eating it as it does have a peculiar taste. As for me, I grew up eating it as my mom would cook it every new year without fail. The vege has a natural sweetness that is best prepared stir fried.

I decided to just stir fry it plain with garlic, ginger and onion.

Garlic Leek
Ingredients
1 bunch of leek, cut into 5cm long stems
1 tablespoon of oil (I prefer sunflower oil or olive oil for stir fry)
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 small red onion, cut into pieces
6 thin slices of old ginger
1 teaspoon of fermented bean paste
Half teaspoon of oyster sauce
Soya sauce to taste

Directions
Heat oil in wok in medium fire
Stir fry garlic, onion and ginger till fragrant
Pour in leek and fry for 2 min
Add half a small bowl of water.
Add bean paste, oyster sauce and soya sauce to taste. Fry for another 5 min. Serve hot.

In the ancient times, leek was a reliable cure for throat and respiratory problems. Eating leek reduces the bad cholesterol level in your body and has properties that can prevent colon and prostate cancer.

Leek contains lots of water, vitamin C, vitamin B, magnesium, iron, phosphor and sulfate.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Leave a Comment or Just Say Hi!

Copyright © 2009 - CHINESE HOME CHEF - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template